While waiting for the presentation of the 50 best restaurants in the world, scheduled for July 18 in London, the British have revealed positions 51 to 100 of their list.
Like every year, the World’s 50 Best Restaurants distills the announcements before its high mass, scheduled this year for July 18 in London.
After the chef of the year award (Leonor Espinosa, Bogota), the “one to watch” prize for the chef to follow (Alexandre Mazzia, Marseille) or the “icon award” (Wawira Njiru, Nairobi), place to those who failed in the top 50, i.e. positions 51 to 100 in the ranking of the best restaurants in the world.
20 restaurants enter the top for the first time, from 15 cities, which brings to 22 the territories represented on six continents.
Asia has 14 establishments in the ranking (including 7 new entrants), Europe 13 (5 new), North America and Mexico 11 (3 new, including 2 in Mexico City), South America 7 (2 new), the Middle East 2 (new entrants), Africa 2 and Oceania 1 (new entrant).
On the French side, 5 tables appear in the list (including three new entrants), 2 in Paris and 3 in the regions:
- Alléno Paris at Ledoyen (58e) – the 3-star loses 17 places compared to 2021, dropping out of the top 50
- La Grenouillère in Madelaine-sous-Montreuil (61e) – 2-star Alexandre Gauthier gains 30 places
- Restaurant in Paris (77e) – Bruno Verjus enters the rankings, a few months after winning a 2e michelin star
- AM in Marseilles (80e) – the 3-star Alexandre Mazzia, also “one to watch”, logically enters the ranking
- Salt flakes in Megève (99e) – the 3-star Emmanuel Renaut is also entering
In 2021, 4 French restaurants were in the top 51 to 100: Epicure at Le Bristol (83e), The Clarence by Christophe Pelé (84e), David Toutain (86e) and La Grenouillère by Alexandre Gauthier(91e). And 3 restaurants in the top 50: Arpège (23rd), Septime (24th) and Alléno Paris (41st).
Does this bode well for Arpège, Septime, Épicure, Le Clarence and David Toutain, absent from the bottom of the ranking, good prospects in the top 50 of the World’s 50 Best Restaurants, which celebrates its 20th anniversary this year?