A Belgian died 10 hours after eating pasta that had been cooked 5 days before

A Belgian student died because of the poor preservation of his food, reminding us of the importance of respecting the basic rules of hygiene with regard to our diet. The drama happened in 2008, but resurfaced in a video of Dr. Bernard on Youtube. The student died in his sleep after eating pasta that had been cooked 5 days earlier.

The 20-year-old student used to prepare his meals for the week on Sundays to save time and money.

pasta

According to Dr Bernard, the student used to cook pasta then put it in plastic containers to eat during the week, then just add sauce and reheat it.

The student reheated spaghetti that had been cooked five days earlier and left out in the kitchen, according to a case study published in the Journal of Clinical Microbiology. He attributed the weird taste to the tomato sauce he put on his spaghetti, ate it all, and went to work out.

Less than 30 minutes after eating the pasta, he experienced severe abdominal pain, nausea and headache. After returning home, he suffered from diarrhea and vomiting, but did not seek medical attention and chose to stay home, drink water and try to sleep.

It wasn’t until the next morning that his parents became concerned when he didn’t get up to go to college. When they went to see him at 11 a.m., he was dead in his bed.

The autopsy report revealed that he died at 4 a.m., about 10 hours after eating the pasta.

pasta
Illustration photos: pixabay

Samples of his pasta and sauce were sent to the National Reference Laboratory for Foodborne Epidemics (NRLFO) for analysis. The autopsy revealed liver necrosis, as well as possible signs of acute pancreatitis. Fecal samples revealed the presence of Bacillus cereus.

The sample of his meal sent to the NRLFO contained significant amounts of Bacillus cereus, confirming that the pasta meal was the cause of his food poisoning, leading to his death hours later.

Bacillus cereus poisonings are very common, and are generally quite mild.

In 2003, a family suffered from Bacillus cereus food poisoning after eating an 8-day-old pasta salad during a picnic.

All five children required surgery and were placed in intensive care, while the youngest daughter, aged 7, died of liver failure.

On YouTube, Dr. Bernard reminds us that although many people have been eating pasta prepared for several days without having any health problems, it is essential to remain vigilant when eating foods that have been out in the open for one moment.

Leave a Comment