The human body is an extremely well-made machine, to the point that it constantly seeks to arrange its mechanisms to optimize its functions. Humans (like other living organisms) have what is called a “biological clock”. Everyone has their own clock that follows their daily needs and habits, it is for example thanks to it that we sleep at regular times with a programmed secretion of the sleep hormone. This same principle is applicable for nutrition and this in different ways, it is certainly vital to eat, but it is just as important to eat at very specific times if you want to lose weight, gain weight, gain muscle and on the contrary if you do not do NOT want to gain weight, lose weight etc.
Chrononutrition is the act of eating foods at specific times of the day to get the maximum benefit. This is possible by following the metabolisms of your body and the activities of your daily life, to illustrate this method, here is a list of food advice which is based on the timing:
- The natural secretion of protease and amylase (responsible among other things for the various protein treatments) occurs mainly around midday, so favor a protein-rich diet at lunch to maximize protein gain. This advice is very important for athletes, especially those with significant muscle mass.
- Drink your coffee, tea or energy drink BEFORE your nap or your break, why? Because these foods begin to be metabolized and have an effect at least after one to two hours (factors such as having an empty or full stomach and the speed of assimilation vary the duration). You will therefore have the energy acquired thanks to your rest combined with the energy provided by the stimulating food.
- Avoid tea 30 minutes before and 2 hours after meals to prevent it from limiting iron absorption.
- Eating a fruit half an hour before your meal will help you feel even hungrier, because fruit contains fructose, this sugar has chemical properties that make you hungry unlike glucose which suppresses your appetite, if you want to limit your appetite during a meal, eat a product rich in glucose such as in sweets.
- It is generally advisable to eat energy foods before training to be able to have enough energy during sport, but it is equally preferable to eat products rich in protein to limit muscle catabolism occurring during and after exercise.
Chrononutrition has a lot of other useful applications, thanks to it you can for example eat without storing fat or eat while ensuring good cellular anabolism after training, it’s just a matter of knowing your body and your daily habits. to tune your diet accordingly.
* Presse Santé strives to transmit medical knowledge in a language accessible to all. In NO CASE can the information given replace medical advice.
Like our content ?
Receive our latest publications free of charge and directly in your mailbox every day