Educating and training a cat to sleep at night seems impossible, but we can find a way to get it to be quiet at night and let us sleep in peace.
Cats are nocturnal animals by nature. Many of them tend to take long naps during the day and when the sun goes down they recharge their batteries and go in search of their master. Therefore, many people wonder how to train a cat to sleep at night.
Also find out why your cats make strange noises in the early hours of the morning and how to teach your kitty to use the litter box. Although it is not possible to change the nature of the cats, it is possible to get them to leave us alone at night to allow us to rest.
If you’re one of those people who listens to meows, purrs, and movements under the blanket while sleeping, this article is for you.
How can I teach my cat to sleep at night?
Your cat’s meows and noises at night are often due to hunger or an urge to play. However, there is no effective way to stop their activity at night, although you can take the following steps to try to get them to do so.
- Play with him during the day
The best way to help your feline sleep at night is to play with it. This way, you’ll drain his energy and strengthen your bond, while having a great time with him.
Even if you have a good time with your cat, don’t forget to respect its rest periods. Felines rest for 12 to 16 hours taking intermittent naps and depriving them of these naps does nothing to keep them active during the day.
For a peaceful night’s sleep, it is essential to remove toys and food from your bedroom, as these are the main reasons for a cat to seek its owner during the night.
To do this, follow these recommendations:
- Close your bedroom door : your feline may be fussy about entering the room at first, until he gets used to the new rule. You will get used to it, be patient.
- Do not pay too much attention to their calls: each time you respond to their calls to play or their requests for food, you reinforce the behavior so that they come to you.
- Don’t tie his needs to your room: remove anything related to your feline, toys, food bowls, sandboxes, even its bed. All this until he gets used to the new routine and you don’t answer his calls when he wants to come to your room at night.
Another way to train a cat to sleep at night is to leave it outside your room with a plaything to keep it entertained so it doesn’t feel the need for your company.
Here are a few tips :
- Leave toys scattered around the house: if they are close at hand, they will be entertained at all times and will not need your company.
- Leave a hammock or platform near the window: this can be a shelf or any other surface that allows the cat to look out the window. This will do a lot of good, as the street is full of activity and will keep your cat occupied.
- Hide treats and food inside the house: this will keep your cat from expending energy constantly trying to find food.
- If your cat has an excessive appetite, always leave his bowl full: if he follows a strict diet, you can leave him some food before going to bed.
As you will see, make him sleep at night is not healthy for him given his nature. Therefore, we must try to find the middle ground to live in harmony with him.